Professor Alistair Andrew Young
BE, ME, PhD
Alistair obtained a PhD in Engineering Science in 1991 and works mainly in the area of medical image analysis. This work is multidisciplinary, including engineering, anatomy, radiology, cardiology, computer science and bioinformatics. Alistair has developed methods for fast analysis of heart function using MRI, atlas-based analysis of heart disease in large populations, and evaluation of heart stiffness and contractility from non-invasive medical imaging exams. He is a founding member and current Board of Trustees member of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, Secretary of the FLow and Motion Study Group of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, and serves on the editorial boards of several journals including Medical Image Analysis, Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, and GigaScience. He is Principal Investigator for the Cardiac Atlas Project, a world-wide consortium for the re-use of imaging data. This project has made over 5000 cardiac imaging examinations available to the community for research into the analysis and population variation of heart disease. His work has been funded by the Health Research Council of New Zealand, the National Heart Foundation of New Zealand, The Marsden Fund, The Wellcome Trust, and the National Institutes of Health (USA).
- Technical Director of the Auckland MR Research Group (AMRG)
The AMRG performs clinical trials in heart disease and is actively developing new methods for measuring heart function from MRI.
- Research Manager of the Center for Advanced MRI (CAMRI)
CAMRI is a state-of-the-art clinical and research MRI facility at the University of Auckland.
- Member of the Biomedical Imaging Research Unit
The Biomedical Imaging Research Unit is a multidiciplinary imaging facility based in the School of Medical Sciences at the Grafton Campus.
- Principal Investigator at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Principal investigator of the Cardiac Atlas Project
The Cardiac Atlas Project aims to establish a worldwide database of cardiac MRI examinations by pooling data from a number of research studies, thereby creating a probabilistic atlas of regional heart function. For a detailed example of a single volunteer, see the AMRG cardiac MRI atlas.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Miller, R., Kolipaka, A., Nash, M. P., & Young, A. A. (2018). Estimation of transversely isotropic material properties from magnetic resonance elastography using the optimised virtual fields method. International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering, 34 (6)10.1002/cnm.2979
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martyn Nash
- Gilbert, K., Forsch, N., Hegde, S., Mauger, C., Omens, J. H., Perry, J. C., ... McCulloch, A. D. (2018). Atlas-Based Computational Analysis of Heart Shape and Function in Congenital Heart Disease. Journal of cardiovascular translational research, 11 (2), 123-132. 10.1007/s12265-017-9778-5
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kat Gilbert, Avan Suinesiaputra
- Roberts, P. A., Lin, A. C. W., Cowan, B. R., Young, A. A., & Stewart, R. (2018). Comparison of effects of losartan and metoprolol on left ventricular and aortic function at rest and during exercise in chronic aortic regurgitation. The international journal of cardiovascular imaging, 34 (4), 615-624. 10.1007/s10554-017-1268-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Roberts
- Suinesiaputra, A., Ablin, P., Albà X, Alessandrini, M., Allen, J., Bai, W., ... D'hooge J (2018). Statistical shape modeling of the left ventricle: Myocardial infarct classification challenge. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 22 (2), 503-515. 10.1109/JBHI.2017.2652449
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Pau Medrano-Gracia, Avan Suinesiaputra
- Gilbert, K., Pontre, B., Occleshaw, C. J., Cowan, B. R., Suinesiaputra, A., & Young, A. A. (2018). 4D modelling for rapid assessment of biventricular function in congenital heart disease. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, 34 (3), 407-417. 10.1007/s10554-017-1236-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kat Gilbert, Avan Suinesiaputra, Beau Pontre
- Pop, M., Sermesant, M., Jodoin, P. M., Lalande, A., Zhuang, X., Yang, G., ... Bernard, O. (2018). Preface.
- Suinesiaputra, A., Ablin, P., Albà X, Alessandrini, M., Allen, J., Bai, W., ... D'hooge J (2018). Statistical Shape Modeling of the Left Ventricle: Myocardial Infarct Classification Challenge. IEEE J. Biomedical and Health Informatics, 22, 503-515.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Avan Suinesiaputra, Pau Medrano-Gracia
- Albà X, Lekadir, K., Pereañez M, Medrano-Gracia, P., Young, A. A., & Frangi, A. F. (2018). Automatic initialization and quality control of large-scale cardiac MRI segmentations. Medical image analysis, 43, 129-141. 10.1016/j.media.2017.10.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Pau Medrano-Gracia