Dr June-Chiew Han
June-Chiew Han received a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Biomedical Engineering and a PhD in Bioengineering from the University of Auckland.
His PhD thesis involved simultaneous measurement of the heat and force production of rat cardiac trabeculae (a muscle of radial dimensions about the size of a human hair and about 3 mm long) to investigate their mechanoenergetics properties using the ABI-developed micromechanocalorimeter. An article resulting from this work appeared in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
Research | Current
June-Chiew's current post-doc research focuses on the effects of hypertension, hypertrophy, diabetes, and diet on cardiac energetics; specifically, how they affect myocardial mechanical efficiency. Energetic experiments are performed at the whole-heart level and at the trabecula level. Experiments are also performed at the sub-cellular level.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pham, T., Nisbet, L., Taberner, A., Loiselle, D., & Han, J.-C. (2018). Pulmonary arterial hypertension reduces energy efficiency of right, but not left, rat ventricular trabeculae. J Physiol10.1113/JP275578
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Toan Pham, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Taberner, A., & Loiselle, D. (2017). Do right-ventricular trabeculae gain energetic advantage from having a greater velocity of shortening?. The Journal of Physiology, 595 (20), 6477-6488. 10.1113/JP274837
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Toan Pham, Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner
- Tran, K., Han, J.-C., Crampin, E. J., Taberner, A. J., & Loiselle, D. S. (2017). Experimental and modelling evidence of shortening heat in cardiac muscle. Journal of Physiology, 595 (19), 6313-6326. 10.1113/JP274680
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Kenneth Tran, Andrew Taberner
- Taberner, A., Pham, T., Han, J. C., Uddin, R., & Loiselle, D. (2017). A flow-through infusion calorimeter for measuring muscle energetics during pharmacological interventions. I2MTC 2017 - 2017 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Proceedings. 10.1109/I2MTC.2017.7969675
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle
- Pham, T., Tran, K., Mellor, K. M., Hickey, A., Power, A., Ward, M.-L., ... Loiselle, D. (2017). Does the intercept of the heat-stress relation provide an accurate estimate of cardiac activation heat?. The Journal of physiology, 595 (14), 4725-4733. 10.1113/jp274174
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kenneth Tran, Kim Mellor, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, Marie-Louise Ward, Toan Pham, Tony Hickey
- Cheuk, M., Anderson, A., Han, J.-C., Lippok, N., Vanholsbeeck, F., Ruddy, B., ... Taberner, A. J. (2017). 4D imaging of cardiac trabeculae contracting in vitro using gated OCT. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 64 (1), 218-224. 10.1109/TBME.2016.2553154
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Taberner, Frederique Vanholsbeeck, Bryan Ruddy, Denis Loiselle, Poul Nielsen
- Han, J.-C., Loiselle, D., & Taberner, A. J. (2016). Energetics of the heart: in health and in disease. Paper presented at The 16th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Singapore. 7 December - 10 December 2016. (pp. 4). Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Tran, K., Power, A., Ward, M. L., Mellor, K., ... Loiselle, D. (21/9/2016). Blebbistatin reveals length-dependence of the metabolic cost of activating contraction in cardiac muscle. Poster presented at 7th International workshop on cardiac mechano-electric coupling and arrhythmias, Freiburg, Germany. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marie-Louise Ward, Toan Pham, Kenneth Tran, Kim Mellor, Tony Hickey, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle