Auckland Bioengineering Institute
MSc(Tech), PhD Waik.
70 Symonds Street
Phone +64 9 3737599 ext 85024
Andrew is affiliated with several groups:
- Academic member of the Department of Engineering Science;
- Principal investigator in the Auckland Bioengineering Institute;
- Honorary Associate Professor of the Liggins Institute
- PhD in Physics, The University of Waikato
- MSc(Technology) in Physics and Electronic Engineering, The University of Waikato
Andrew’s research focuses on developing intelligent, novel bioinstrumentation systems and medical devices, with applications ranging from basic science to clinical medicine. Many of his projects are in collaboration with other researchers in the Auckland Bioengineering Institute and the faculties of Engineering, Medical and Health Science, and Science. He enjoys teaching the principles and methods of instrumentation and measurement within the BE(Hons) in Biomedical Engineering degree programme and leading a team of post-graduate students in novel instrumentation design, construction and development.
Andrew is a director of the Bioinstrumentation lab at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute. He heads the MIT-ABI BioInstrumentation Exchange Initiative, a collaborative research exchange programme between the Auckland Bioengineering Institute, and the MIT BioInstrumentation Lab.
Andrew’s own research projects include:
- The Cardiac Myometer: novel instrumentation to identify the mechanical, energetic and ionic properties of living heart muscle
- Needle-free jet injection: Highly controllable devices for injection of liquid drugs
- Bioinstrumentation and medical devices: novel instrumentation for biological measurements
Related Faculties and Centres